The same thing we do every night (and every day for that matter)

Sunday 6 April 2008

Clippings from Facebook: So apparently I'm a right winger

10 Steps to be a left winger... apparently...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=18717071808&topic=8771


1. I don't think I've ever read an outdated history book- I tend to read much more interesting things, and watch history documentaries... Produced by respected broadcasters. 

2. I never bring up Israel- partly because the whole issue gives me a bloody headache and also I wouldn't bring it up in inappropriate places like whoever wrote that assumes I would.

3. I don't think I've ever disagreed with the notion that we shouldn't allow illegal immigration- it's illegal, isn't it? Though if people have a genuine life-threatening reason to flee their country, then they should be able to stay somewhere safer. Not crying and screaming and accusing people of rape, frigging hell!

4. Left wingers can be realistic as well you know, hey we have to be in the UK as it's the only way we can make any of our political values possible. We also know that some ideas that seemed good at the time ended up not working because of the power crazy nutters that twisted them to their own ends. 

5. Nah, don't take drugs- partly because my Dad was a drugs advice worker and regularly gave me the horrifying stories of people who went way too far with them. Though I'm partial to a beer as much as most people are!

6. Nutters come in many flavours, everyone knows that, and Muslim fundamentalists who treat women like crap and advocate the death penalty for things like being gay piss me off as much as Christian ones who essentially advocate the same things. If you put both in a room they would probably find a lot to agree on!

7. I hate that song and hate that that horribly sad cover of it was Christmas number 1. I prefer arguing about nasty atrocities, and trying to make politicians act on them, not wasting my time on Youtube trying to stir up emotion.

8. I really don't think MI6 have any interest in a run-of-the-mill leftie with an interest in community activism. Methinks they're more interested in those looking up how to make homemade bombs and stuff like that.

9. You don't want to kill all Jews and non-whites so why should I have any reason to call you a Nazi? Britain's always been diverse, right back to the Romans and the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons and the Normans, and long may it continue.

10. Some of the candidates in parties are and some of them aren't, we just have to make sure we vote for the principled ones.

So according to some random person on an internet forum's standards I'm a right winger! Off to join the Conservatives then... NOT.

No comments: